SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
APPLES FOR SALE
APPLES FOR SALE
Normally we offer citrus fruit for sale during the holidays, however, due to Hurricane Irma,
much of the citrus in Florida was destroyed. Our vendors have no fruit to offer this year.
As an alternative we are offering 6 varieties of fresh Virginia apples by the full and half
bushels. Also, did you know that the average age of grocery store apples could be at least
12 months? The apples we will be selling are not only from Virginia, but they were picked this fall.
Fresh and delicious! And these heirloom apples would make wonderful gifts! Your support also
helps us operate our Foothills Homeschool Association!
Cost, FULL bushels $22, HALF bushels $12
(or you can also purchase any apples at $0.89/pound!)
NEW PICKUP OPTION
NOTE: Due to potential hazardous weather for Sunday, the apples will be sold from our Rocky Mount Lifestyle Health Center (located across from the DMV and Armory). The apples are there now and you may pick them up there this week or next, Monday-Thursday, 10am-6pm. The apples are a nice quality and size (the Gala apples we tried were juicy and sweet!) Please pay with cash or check (no credit cards for the apples.) We have lots of extra apples so tell your friends and family. Thank you so much for your orders!
Rocky Mount Lifestyle Health Center
350 Tanyard Rd., Rocky Mount, VA
Dec. 3-6, Dec. 10–13, 10am-6pm
TYPES OF APPLES
- This popular apple offers a juicy crunch and a sweet, tangy flavor. Gala apples are considered to be one of the very sweetest. They are a great snacking fruit as they are low in calories, high in water content and offer a fair amount of vitamins A, C and B. They also contain a dietary fiber known as pectin, which has been shown to lower cholesterol levels and help prevent heart attacks. They also contain trace amounts of boron, which has been touted for its ability to help build strong bones.
- These apples are high in cell repairing antioxidants. They are also a good source of soluble fiber, which has been proven to help lower cholesterol, control weight, and regulate blood sugar. They contain vitamins A and C, as well as a trace amount of iron, most of which is located in their skin. They are often used in baking because of their high acidity and ability to hold their shape when cooked. Because they are slow to brown when cut, they are perfect diced and added to fresh preparations.
- These apples are crunchy and offer a mild, sweet, and tangy flavor with a slightly floral aroma. They are rich in soluble fiber and contain potassium, vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, and boron. Rome apples are best suited for cooked applications such as baking, frying, and roasting. Their dense flesh holds up well when baked making them perfect for use in pies, cakes, bread, and cookies. Their flavor is also enhanced when cooked, becoming sweeter and exceptionally rich. Rome apples are a choice apple when making baked apples, as they will retain their round shape even when hollowed, stuffed and baked. Try in both savory and sweet cooked preparations.
- This apple reaches its peak in flavor and texture after a long period in cold storage. When first picked in October the apple can be as hard as a rock and almost as flavorful! Trying to enjoy the apple at this stage will usually lead to disappointment. However, after an extended period of storage, the apple undergoes a dramatic change and becomes a fine dessert apple. The sharp tartness mellows significantly into a rich sweetness that will surprise the skeptic who might have expressed some disdain with a freshly-picked apple. The hard, dense texture improves greatly as well, becoming a softer and more tender apple while still retaining a pleasing crispness. This is a great keeper apple, and will maintain its flavor and texture well into Spring.
- Fine quality for dessert use, excellent for baking and cider. Very firm, coarse, yellow flesh is crisp, juicy and slightly aromatic, with a semi sweet flavor. One of the very best apples for keeping. In a cool location it holds its flavor until April or May.
- For those in the know, Virginia Stayman apples are a connoisseur's delight. Their distinctive sweet-tart flavor, snappy bite, satisfying texture and crimson color have made them a favorite since their discovery by Dr. Stayman in 1866. The Virginia Stayman is an ideal, all-purpose apple. As a snack, it gets high praise for its robust taste and firm, crisp flesh. The Stayman's large conical shape holds up well under heat, making it perfect for baking and cooking. This is quite simply the best apple in the world for anyone who loves a tart-sweet apple with substantive crispness and perfect skin bite. Keeps well into the spring.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATRONAGE!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For more information, to be put on our mailing list, or to pre-register, please call or email us:
All events are located at the Rocky Mount Lifestyle Health Center, 350 Tanyard Road, Rocky Mount, VA.
(across from the Armory)